Wednesday, May 19, 2010

there and back again

New York feels like love on crack. I had forgotten the dizziness, the loudness, the intensity, the indifference of this city. It's comforting to discover that my feet still know the well worn paths through the subway systems, onto the M104, through Columbia's campus. I'm actually sitting in Butler library, where I spent many, many caffeinated hours reaching for academic coherence, reading and writing. It's strange that everything is the same.

I feel almost like I've folded my life now--from last year's graduation here in NYC, I traveled to the great plains of South Dakota, to the incredible complexity of Chilean geography, to the rowhouses and urban gardens of DC, and back again here to the Upper West Side. A neat little packaged year, but not, really. I think sometimes I want to assure myself that places still exist, not just in my memory.

Anyways, stay posted for upcoming updates on my new adventures as a labor organizer for the SEIU--who knows what corners of the US I'll find myself in next.

No comments:

Post a Comment